Thread: The Locavore
View Single Post
Old 02-24-08, 08:13 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
That's interesting about the French wine versus California wine. Also, they make pretty good wine in New York state. I wonder what the "footprint" would be for that truly local wine?

It really does take a lot of research and discussion to make the greenest choices. A lot of times people jump on the bandwagon for a green consumer cause, and later find out that they really aren't making much difference after all. Years ago, consumers boycotted colored toilet paper because it was supposed to pollute more than white TP. It went so far that the paper companies totally quit making colored TP. It really was a great moment in consumer activism. A few years later, it was discovered that colored TP actually isn't any worse than the white. But the funny thing is, they still don't make colored TP!

I suppose the same thing could happen with the locavore movement if we're not careful. We could end up doing things that are actually worse for the environment if we're not careful. I have to admit that decreasing GHGs is only one reason that I support local agriculture with my food purchases. I also like the idea of keeping the money in my community, I like sticking it to the huge corporations, and I like the idea of my region more self-reliant. And of course the main reason is that the food tastes so much better!
Around here the local wine selections are very limited, the only grapes that grow in this soil are muscadine, hard to get a Chardonnay or Merlot from Concord or Scuppernong

However I am in full agreement with attempting to purchase locally produced items. We have an IGA store that has his own meat packing plant and cannery, both in the county that most of his stores are located in. He also buys his cattle and most of his vegetables for canning from the local farmers....works for me!

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon