pauldaley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surly LHT and BOB ibex for off-road?

hi crew,

here's where i'm at ...

I leave in little over a month to cycle 4,500km <northern nsw ~ northern qld> (Australia)

I got a BOB ibex trailer and it has been amazing, very happy with this unit

the idea was to just use my existing mountain bike (Shogun? 2004 model)

up until now it's been the perfect MTB bike, but on the latest 200km test-ride (with BOB) my chain broke and the the front deraileur is playing up AND a spoke broke..

my dad reckons that this is just the beginning of my troubles with this bike, as it's done a few K's in it's day

~ I have the feeling that cycle touring is about to become a huge part of my life, so I reckon an investment in the Surly LHT would be a good one

my only question is, how does this Touring bike go off-road ?? off-course i will put some wider tyres on it (1.75-1.9's) but nothing beatz shockies ... (although i've never not used shockies? is it that bad on the bumps without 'em?)

it's not like the entire journey is off-road, but there are significant portions that will vary from sand to gravel to corrugation to mud... ect .ect

I guess what i want to ask is ...

SHOULD I JUST GET A GOOD MTB ? as i already have the BOB trailer ....

or should i just go for the Surly as it seems to be a quality build with decent components on the 'complete' set up

There are two Mountain Bikes i've come across

2008 Shogun Prairie Breaker Expert at just under $1000 AU dollars

or for another $300

2008 GT Avalanche Expert which comes with a decent set of shockies (I can lock them out)

my only issues with these bicycles are the disc breaks? i'm not very familiar with them and most advice is to stick with the old scools V-breaks

or I could just fork out the $1500 and get a Surly LHT 'Complete', which sounds like a nice ride and is compatible with pannier's if I want to go down that track some day

i live in the country and my dad is going to be in Brisbane next monday ... .which is a rare opportunity for him to pick me up a bike

what do you reckon ???