View Single Post
Old 02-26-08, 07:36 AM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Juha
Ziemas, I still have the same batteries as when I started the thread, but I did buy the hybrid ReCykos I mentioned in post #20.

I took my time trying my old batteries out in actual use to see how they do. I also measured on-the-shelf voltage drops while I was at it. My old no-brands lost 8-9% of voltage during the first 12 hours, and 13-14% in the first 24hrs. Brand names did marginally better. Hybrids (GP ReCyko) were up to their marketing in this respect, barely 0,5% voltage drop during that time.

It's been an interesting exercise. Most likely I'll get some Sanyos or other brand name, hi-capacity NiMHs and use those as my primary batteries with the Fenix. Hybrids will stay in the bag for backup, as their self-discharge rate is low enough to guarantee they're actually up to the task when needed. I don't mind the shorter burn time with them, they're only there to get me home. Old NiMHs will go in my backup light, rear leds and such.

--J
Hey J: I posted earlier that I had no problems w/ my Fenix, the cold and NiMH batteries. Well all of that has changed recently. A few weeks back I rode for a few hours in cool temps(40F, 5C) with the light on flash mode. When it came time to switch to high it died. I figured batteries. I returned home charged all of my batteries for the AM commute. Temps dropped to 13F/-10C. That morning the light worked for less than an hour. I recharged them again then I realized that the overall brightness was no longer there, lost all modes other than high(but not as high as before) and flash. All lower levels gone!!! I know my batteries are good as they light other lights well. Run time is much shorter and brightness reduced. I never bang my light around. I am contacting Fenix to tell them the problem. Perhaps these light are a "1 year only light". FWIW: I ride almost everyday, run the light 1-2 hours per day; so this might just be it life expectancy. Charlie