View Single Post
Old 02-26-08, 08:03 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 755 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by SweetLou
Neilfein, Since you believe the Transit is not up to snuff, could you explain please? I mean are the welds not as good, the material used not as good, etc.
I too would be curious what Neilfein has to say on this and whether he has actually used one or has some first or second hand knowledge of problems with one.

I suspect that some folks shy away because the price is low and they (incorrectly IMO) presume that means low quality.

The welds look great and construction is top notch IMO.

Some would prefer steel construction, the most common reason being given is the ability to repair it anywhere there is a brazing torch or welder. If I ever manage to break one of these lowrider clones, I can cobble it together using whatever wood metal or plastic is available along with tyraps, baling wire, hose clamps or whatever for long enough to get a replacement I figure that I am about as likely to be struck by lightning so it isn't something that keeps me up at night.

I think that they may also be a bit more fiddly to get installed properly. The proper amount of spacer needs to be put between the mid-fork braze-on and the rack on my bike.

The Tubus Tara has a longer cleaner area on the top where the pannier hooks go so there could possibly be a bit less likelihood of an oddball pannier not fitting correctly than with the Blackburn clone, but that is unlikely to be a problem.

Lots of long distance tourists have used these racks and I have heard of only one of these racks being broken, but that was in a collision with a car.