View Single Post
Old 02-27-08, 09:23 AM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
Over the past few days I threw a Shimano RSX group I took off of a $25 Diamonback road bike I found. The crank ended up getting stripped when trying to take it off, so I couldn’t use that. The shifters didn’t work, but after some work with WD40 and compressed air they now shift flawlessly, as least as far as I can tell with no chain or crank! The brakes were some crappy brand I never heard of, but I won a set of RSX calipers off of ebay that should be here soon. The seat is an old (and dry) leather job that was on my uo8 project. Seems like it will be comfortable, however it needs to be stitched since it flattens out when you sit on it.
I got the threadless adapter and stem from Performance.

Here’s a pic.

I got tired of putting black handlebar tape on my bikes and wanted something different. Not sure yet if I like it or not, but it’s staying for now. All of the cables are new. I do have another wheelset coming, along with a suntour double crank that I’m not sure if I’m going to use.

I saw a carbon double crank in 175mm (my size) at Performance that I could get for $120. It was originally marked at 299. It’s the Forte Performance brand. Is it worth it? Does anyone have any experience with the Performance house brand stuff?
I think this is the one:

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/dr...7_2491crx.aspx

As this is my first bike build, I’d love any feedback anyone might have.