View Single Post
Old 02-27-08, 01:17 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrierman
There are no hills in Lawrence.
!

I think that was a joke; there's actually a big "hill" in the middle of town called Mt. Oread and if you're on a bike you need to figure out how to get over or around. The University is on top of the hill, and any good tour of town includes the (very pretty) campus, so you need to find your way up it w/out dying.

Here's a suggested city tour that starts downtown, and gets up to campus the non-steepest way I know. It takes you through campus, out to Clinton Reservoir, and then back to downtown. On the South Edge of town is a preserved wetlands on 31st street that this route goes by; you ought to stop and walk out into the Wetlands (there's a nature walk).

This route will also connect w/the road out to Lone Star lake, which I mentioned above.

There also is a bike map at the Lawrence city website that shows suggested bike routes around town.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...rence/94688720

Legal disclaimer:
All this is by memory...I haven't ridden these streets for 10 years but I am pretty sure based on a recent visit this is still the non-steepest way to get across town if you want to take in the campus.