Old 02-28-08, 01:18 PM
Cueballkrill
Loving tools I don't need

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Late 80's early 90's Mercier frame with Campagnolo bits.

Hello everyone!

I'm a tooled up eager man wanting to rip apart a bike (first time) and do it up, I think it must be my need for instant gratification, but I'll do my best to take it easy and don't run before I can walk.

Anyway...

I'm looking at repairing (to the best of my abilities) my dad's old commuting bike, and taking it over for my own daily big commute (saves on petrol!) I'm very sketchy on details, so I hope you good people can help me out and nudge me in the right direction should I go off on a tangent.

Right - Some back ground history. The bike was bought in the 90's Mercier frame (which is very light) used to be a dark pink colour with Campagnolo gears set(?) Wheel hub, breaks, saddle post and crank/bottom bracket. The Front Derailleur however, is a Shimano RX100. I don't know any of the model numbers of the Campagnolo stuff or the Mercier frame.

In 2002, I got some guy to tinker with the machine, he changed the colour and did some other things (not very well) and I had nothing but problems and threw it in the shed.

Here it is:

Back derailleur:

Front derailleur:

Breaks: (side pull?)

Bottom Bracket:

Cassette:

Have I missed anything?

Well as you can see on most of these pictures, the spiders have got in and there is rest galore, the shimano front derailleur particularly suffering. I'm going to deal with the frame myself so I’m not worried about that, it's more the other parts.

Will it be ok to clean them up by stripping and rebuilding? I don't want to break anything during the clean up? Also I'm guessing that I have 12 gears on this bike? Do I need a new cassette? I'm also worried about the wheel hubs, I think their ok, but how do I know?

I'm sorry for dumping this on you all, I'm going through the process over the next few day's of stripping the bike totally from the frame so that can be cleaning and sprayed properly, while doing that I'd like to replace/repair all the other bits at the same time.

Ah another question, Should I get rid of the Shimano front derailleur and replace it with a Campag? Or does it matter? If I do how do I know what will work with what???

Right, I'll leave that with ya!

Cheers,

Jon