View Single Post
Old 02-29-08, 05:00 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by arctos
Over the years of off road touring I have had may surprised looks and comments about me riding a rigid bike in these conditions. I usually explain that I prefer simple technology and use as large a tire as possible for maximum air volume and adjust the pressure to the conditions. That is the extent of my suspension on my bike. I also have reduced the weight of equipment that I carry. These simple things have made off road touring easier and less damaging to me and my bicycle.
Much depends on your particular riding style and attitude. If you need to descend at high speed over and through every obstacle then my approach will not help you as much as the newest suspension technology. If you are traveling to see new terrain and let the terrain dictate the pace then my simple technology approach may be a useful option for your off road touring.

I'd vote for simplicity with a twist. Front suspension does more then just smooth out the ride. It does improve your control. If you happen to hit a rut with a rigid bike, your wheel will lock up against the side of the rut and eventually put you on the ground. Front suspension allows the wheel to climb up the side of the rut (we're talking small ruts, not tank traps) without throwing you off...as often. They do add comfort too.

I don't think I'd tour on a dually, however. Way to many things to go wrong and putting a trailer on one would be asking a lot of all those pivots.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!