cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ks1g
I'm going to disagree a tiny bit with cc rider on using Point of Rocks. For starters, unless you get to the Point of Rocks bridge via Waterford or Lovettesville as he suggests, DO NOT USE US 15 to get to Point of Rocks. No shoulder, high speed heavy traffic. I hate driving it. The route cc suggests should work, hope you like rollers and some hills. I've ridden parts of the route, but not the section to Point of Rocks. At least you are avoiding the 1 mile climb going east on Taylorstown from the north end of Loyalty (a staple of the Reston Century). I'd still be nervous using the Rt 15 bridge at that.....
I wouldn't use route 15 either. I don't even like the stretch from Leesburg to White's Ferry, but there is no other way.
The Loyalty/Taylorstown route gets you around the backside of the mountain. Not particularly hilly. The last part is a short, mostly downhill that T's at the Virginia end of the bridge. You're only on 15 for the length of the bridge, then turn off at Point of Rocks. I don't like the bridge either, but it's less than a half mile.

Originally Posted by ks1g
I would cross at White's Ferry - take W&OD into Leesburg, go north on King St/ Business 15. Merge onto 15 north (CAREFUL here), then stay on shoulder to turn off to White's Ferry. Take ferry across. You can refuel at the convenience store on the MD side. Herndon via the W&OD and Rt 15 to White's Ferry is about 20 miles. You can also cross at Brusnwick, although I've been advised to not use VA 287 from the W&OD near Purcelville area to get to the bridge. At that, 287 is a lot calmer than 15.
White's Ferry is not a bad choice (I just don't know the MD side above Poolesville). Big climb back out of the river valley. If you can get to New Design Road it's a 10 mile straight shot to Frederick (and I do mean straight)
Brunswick is not a bad crossing either - Taylorstown Rd to Lovettsville Rd and LEFT to Lovettsville. The terrain behind Brunswick is hillier than around Point of Rocks and roads to Frederick are busy.

In PA I have no idea on where to go. I was thinking route 30 to route 160, but I'm sure there is a better way. Maybe thru Pittsburgh is the answer.