Thread: Faster on road?
View Single Post
Old 03-05-08, 10:22 AM
Lost again
Directionally Challenged

Bikes: 2000 Turner Burner, MTB, 2007 Turner 5 Spot MTB, 08 Bianchi Axis CX bike, Giant TCR 01 Carbon Road,Surly 1X1 ss MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Faster on road?

I've got a question that I can't figure the answer to, and I don't think I've ever seen the answer anywhere either.

On the road bike, I'm considered one of the faster riders in my club/s. I don't necessairly train for speed, but it just seems to come fairly easily. I'm 51, but find myself riding with the 30 somethings more time then not. I'm also into longer distance riding centuries and doubles, and generally place up front in the top 20% or so. I'm not training to be fast, just consistant. All that being said, I love to mountain bike, but I just can't seem to keep up with the pack. I generally fall off the back and although not bringing up the rear I tend to be towards the back. I've done a number of things to try and improve my speed, but it just doesn't seem to work for me. I used to triple the amount of time on a mountain bike then on a road, but still was in the back. Then I switch back to road and I can leave almost all my buds in the dust on my road bike???

I submitted this thread on two different forums to see if I can get answers from different views.