View Single Post
Old 03-05-08, 03:04 PM
Paul L.

Bikes: Mercier Corvus (commuter), Fila Taos (MTB), Trek 660(Got frame for free and put my LeMans Centurian components on it)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sasquatch2
I have a 5 mile commute so my 14 MPG jeep eats about $40 worth of $3 gas a month (I like round numbers) I agree that the real savings start when I sell the car and lose the insurance and maintenance (OK it's really poorly maintained) costs but I've not been able to bring myself to do it.

help meeeee.
Jeep Cherokee here, 17mpg. 48 mi per day, 4 days a week (I have a work at home day), = 192 mi.
192 /17 = 11.3 So that is roughly $34 a week on gas. I figure that to around $1618 dollars a year. My bike cost me $700 dollars in 2002 and has over 20000 miles on it (it took a rest in 2006 and 2007 while I did the recumbent thing). Figuring on around $600 maintenace and bike stuff a year I am still clearing a pretty penny.

The math is easy.
200lbs man + 2000 lbs machine requires so many calories of energy to move it.
200 lbs man +20 lbs bike requires much less energy to move it.

Now if you are one of those guys who rides the "Lambourghini" of bikes then you can expect to pay quite a bit more (but not as much more as the guys that drive Lamborghinis do compared to drivers of common cars).