kylen721
I Ride Slow

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Raleigh Furley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fixing up old tandem. Is it worth it?

Hi all I know that this may be a question better suited to the classic and vintage forum, but I figured it being a tandem I would start here and see what everyone thinks. So I had posted a WTB ad on craigslist and ended up getting an e-mail about a vista tandem we settled on a price of $50. I went today (despite the weather) and picked it up, but after getting it back I am starting to have second thoughts..

Pictures:

As you can see there is quite a bit of rust. The guy said it has been in his workshop for 10 years or so, so it must have not been in great shape when he put it away. From my brief look at it I noticed that the cranks were in different positions from each other, which from my limited knowledge of tandems seems not right. It is just a internal 3-speed I guess with a coaster brake. Also the shifter is on the stokers bars. Just lots of little weird things, but I dont know if is worth investing money into. What all do you think I would need to get it in a decent shape? Thanks for any info

Kyle

P.s. cross posted in tandem forum