andystep12

Bikes: 1985 Nishiki Tri-A

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ahoyhoy

Hi folks,
I'm Andy a college student in California's central valley who is just getting into cycling. Honestly I don't know much about how to get started besides getting my bike together and going for a ride.

I picked up a 1985 (I believe as I here the colors for that year are black and yellow) Nishiki Tri-A with a little bit of surface rust here and there (mainly on the quick releases) for 40 bucks. It has Shimano 600 cranks, rear deraileur, and front deraileur along with Shimano side pulls. Strangely the front deraileur is friction and the rear is indexed. It has downtube shifters (I think that's what they are called). The Avex wheels seem fairly true (slightly visible wobble if I look super closely, but it rides fine). Could you guys suggest a good way to suggest if the wheels are true?

So far I have replaced the chain with a cheepo Belle speedy chain from Wal-Mart and oiled it up with chain lube. I was able to accomplish this after fighting with a $2.73 Belle chain breaker that took the strength of 2 oxen to turn and finally breaking down and buying an $18 one from the Herb Bauer cycling. The bike came with some Shimano cage pedals that I replaced with some super cheep platforms from Wal-Mart that are identical to the ones that came on my room mates Roadmaster box bike (I think I need platforms to ride to class). I also tightened where the front brake mounted to the frame so it wouldn't rub on the wheel and is a bit better centered. The tires and tubes look like they are as old as the bike (23 years), the tires are kevlar and I can see the stitching coming apart on the side with some nice bulges. I ordered some Nashbar Prima 2 plus 700x25c tires and 2 tubes (I now realize I probably should have ordered more tubes) that are on the way. I'm looking forward to hitting the local trail with my girlfriend (I haven't seen it yet, but it's supposed to be a nice rail to trail conversion). She has a very well kept 70's Fuji Gran Tourer with Suntour components.

I don't own a helmet yet, and I was wondering if there is any real disadvantage to buying a 15 dollar Schwinn helmet from Wolly Word besides looking like a ****er? Does it perform similarly to slightly more expensive helmets. There's also an 18 dollar Belle helmet I've been looking at. Any suggestions on a cheep one I should get.
As I am going to just be riding recreationaly and as a very short commuter on to campus is it worth while for me to invest in some inexpensive clipless shoes and pedals? Also do you guys have any suggestions of anything I've missed doing to get an older bike up and running?

Also how do you think I did as far as picking this bike up for the price and all?
I'm not sure how well it fits me, it seems to fine even though I'm 6 feet tall and I think I measure the top tube at 54 or 55cm which I guess is a bit small.

This is a longer post than I expected it to be. I've looked at this site for a couple of weeks now and I'm happy to be joining a community of such nice and helpful people.

Andy