View Single Post
Old 03-06-08, 07:42 PM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bdaisies
I've been commuting by bike for about 3 years now, but never in the winter. This winter had just been brutal, and I was sort of tired of walking or taking the bus. I took my bike out yesterday, and it was snowing a little and pretty cold, but I felt really good about it. I knew there was going to be some snow today but I didn't think it was going to be this brutal. My daily ride isn't even 3km one way. I have a Kona Hahanna mountain bike. Not even half way there, where the snow plows failed, so did I. I walked my bike the rest of the way, and even that was a chore. I just could not keep traction and control was weak.

While I was walking down the street, some other cyclist on a road bike (I think) just flew right by me.

I have so much respect and envy for winter cyclists. I wish i could do it, but i guess it's not for me.

Here's my bike via cellphone. LOLz.
In additions to all the good advice you have been given it also comes down to fitness. Riding 3km each way in good weather may not be enough riding to get you fit enough for the harder winter riding. Unless you are sprinting at maximum effort twice a day. Try riding some 20-40 km rides a couple of times a week when the weather is good to prepare yourself for the rigours of winter riding. If you don't have time for longer rides, then sprint the short commute everyday at close to maximum effort (when the roads are dry) to get in better condition.

You can also try putting on the widest tires that will fit on your bike. 2.5 - 3 inches wide and run them at twenty pounds pressure. This will help give you more traction for less money. Also, when it is really bad you might just try running to work on the sidewalk with those small shoe chains to keep from sliding.

Last edited by Hezz; 03-06-08 at 07:53 PM.