View Single Post
Old 03-07-08, 02:25 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by makeinu
Considering the fact that I didn't mention any experience, I'm quite surprised at how many folks find that their experience differs. What exactly is your experience different from?
I was thinking you probably didn't mention what you didn't have. Don't get me wrong -- I'm in favor of challenging traditions. People used to think the world is flat. However, I can't see how anyone who has ridden much at all could possibly think what you think about braking except....

Originally Posted by Paul L.
Ok guys, I think I understand him now. Picture a road bike, the normal curve handlebars have been rotated up so the curves stare you in the face and the brakes are now towards you and not pointed down the road. This sounds like the situation our OP is in. I see lots of these guys around (they do it to incorrectly to get a more upright position). I say this half in jest, but it makes all of the above arguments sound sensible if this is the dangerous handbrakes he is talking about.
If this is the case, you have not only messed up your braking, but you have completely destroyed the handling characteristics of your bike. While it gives some indication as to where you got your ideas, it's not the fault of the brakes if you screw up your bike and render it unsafe.