Old 03-08-08, 04:24 AM
sumguy

Bikes: 08 Novara Safari; 06 Schwinn Super Sport DBX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
For me winter cycling is a matter of necessity, not being badass. I can easily take a bus or walk to work. But I finish my shift at 11:30 PM, an hour after the last bus runs. My choices are taxi ($10 a trip), walk (seems risky, takes too long when I just want to get home) or bum a ride (co-workers and friends would get tired of that!). Riding is just more practical in my situation.

The important thing is to have the right gear and bike. With that in place, winter riding is very practical. In a city, there are only a few days a season that riding is more difficult than usual. Cold isn't an issue because your activity keeps you warm. Snow is a problem mainly when it's falling and for a few hours after it stops--just like for driving and even buses. Ice lingers on low-traffic roads for weeks, but the main roads are always ice free.
+1 Would have to catch the bus at 630pm to start at 10pm

1st year LCF and what I'm learning this winter:
how to adapt. my limits. my gear's limits. if my tights are good down to 20f, I can probably use less bulky top layers. typically I'm sweaty by the time I get to work. watching the weather, headwinds, heavy snow, changing clothes, and icy ruts on the street suck. cold by itself isn't as bad as people think.

Short commute 8.4mi RT at night. Rode everyday except bummed rides 6 times during active ice storm and tail end of heavy snows. Took the bus once when my ride home forgot about me

The good:
...Performance windproof balaclava - very windproof, waterproof, warm. probably too warm over 30F
...NEOS overshoes - large and clunky but tennis shoes and rag wool socks good to -10F wind chills, waterproof
...Cannondale LE Bad weather tights - initially didn't like but they shed water and are tolerable down to 20F.
...Ski goggles: dual lens, rarely fog keep eyes and nose protected. need to get a clear lens instead of gold mirror with tint for night riding

OK gear:
...Nokian W106 studded tires. Bought into the marketing that said studded tires are all you need for winter. They are great for smooth ice and good until the snow gets heavy, slushy, or frozen and rutted. Need a better system for hard packed snow that breaks apart.
...Polarfleece gloves: very warm, windproof, water resistant. bulky but I have grip shifters, stay sweaty on the inside
...Pogies. These things are bulky (Cabela's brand) but great for keeping hands warm during heavy winds and also for keeping freezing rain off the shifters and brake levers.