View Single Post
Old 03-08-08, 09:50 AM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Even so, a 36 spoke track wheel is going to be almost idiot proof. I got a wheelset for $100. It was one of those cheap Dimension hubs laced to a Velocity Aero rim.

I just put it on my bike and rode the crap out of it. After a while, I noticed that one or two of the spokes had completely de-tensioned. You could turn the nipple without a spoke wrench. However, the wheel had barely gone out of true. I just tightened the loose spoke, and gave the rest of the spokes a quarter of a turn, trued the wheel, and rode another 1000 miles without even thinking about it.

This was on a commuter bike where I often carry a heavy load on he rear rack. Oh, and I weigh over 200 pounds. And I ride over ugly railroad tracks and on crappy roads at least once a day.

Eventually, after wasting the threads on one side with an improperly installed cheap stamped steel cog, I decided to replace the hub. So I got a Godspeed hub. They are the same as Dimension, IRO and maybe Formula. The cliche "They're all made in the same factory in China" does indeed apply to many of the track hubs currently on the market. But in my opinion, it's a damn good hub for $49.

I took the wheel apart and rebuilt it one morning. It was my first wheelbuild that I would actually ride. I re-used the same spokes (not the most recommended procedure).

After 500 miles, it has stayed true as the day I built it.

One of the big benefits of SSFG is that you get a much stronger wheel than on a geared road bike. I was always popping spokes on my cheap road wheels. But I've abused the hell out of my cheap track wheels and had very few problems.