View Single Post
Old 09-21-04, 01:19 PM
descartes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
04 Poprad- couple of questions

I am more than likely picking up an 04 Lemond Poprad this week. Contrary to my earlier posts, I have decided to keep the drops- at least for the time being. I took it on a test ride and it was much more comfortable than my cannondale road bike that I recently sold.

Couple of questions:
1) any significant differences btw 04 and 05? I can’t see any that justifies the ~$200 savings by going with last year’s model.

2) I want to use this bike for commuting and fitness rides. Any tire suggestions? I have a mountain bike (yeti fro) but I also want to give the cyclocross thing a shot. I am guessing I will use the poprad 80% road 20% dirt.

3) Depending on the cost, I may purchase another set of wheels to switch btw road and offroad use. Any suggestions of a relatively cheap way to do this? Would the stock rims be better suited for road use or offroad? I tend to think the latter but if I end up skimping I may use the stock wheels for road and buy a set of cheap wheels for offroad as they would tend to be more exposed to damage.

4) Finally, I was sized for the 52cm poprad- coincidentally, the one the lbs had left. I am 5'10" with a 30" pant inseam. My previous road bike was 54cm which I thought was a little small. I fit a 17.5" mountain bike perfectly. The lbs told me that due to the higher bottom bracket a 52cm poprad does not equal a 52cm road bike. Am I getting hoodwinked?

Thanks in advance.