View Single Post
Old 03-08-08, 11:53 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6276 Post(s)
Liked 4,312 Times in 2,417 Posts
Originally Posted by makeinu
Speaking of actual science, you might want to try it sometime. It involves actually trying something and observing what happens as opposed to just reading it in some book, depending on common wisdom, or taking a poll of 15 supposed internet experts.

Actual science is what I do. I actually physically try things and, instead of just assuming that 15 supposed experts on the internet must be right, I actually observe what happens and use that to draw my conclusions.
Personally, I don't care if you use your feet for braking or if you use neolithic tools for taking your bike apart but your ideas on science are way off base. I happen to do science every day. My job is to solve problems in ways no one else has done before. However, I have to know how other people have approached a problem in the past or else I'm just repeating the same mistakes that they have made and I'm going no where in terms of science. You don't start at first principles on every problem or nothing would ever get solved. In science...at least the science I practice...you build on the work of others and you acknowledge the fact that others have gone before you. In other words, if someone says you should probably do it this way, you might want to listen to them. You can do it your own way but you are going to go down a whole bunch of blind alleys before you discover that the way the 'experts' said to do it is probably a pretty good idea.

Originally Posted by makeinu
Don't believe me? Try it. Start questioning everything you hear and see for yourself. Then you won't be such a pain in my side. You'd be amazed at how much you can learn by just opening your eyes and observing.
You might try taking your own advice. Go try riding a bike in traffic (remember the original question?) with only a rear brake. If you survive long enough, you'll find your hypothesis doesn't hold. And try a chain tool on a chain. You can do it the hard way or do it the way some other clever monkey figured out how to do it.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 03-09-08 at 09:27 AM.