Old 03-09-08, 12:37 AM
makeinu
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Severian
huh... why didn't I think of the argument from first principles? I mean I studied a good bunch of philosophy in college.

That's what really bugs me the most about this whole thing. The OP is trundling along on his merry way working out for himself (the way we all do) what is the best way to operate X (where, in context, X is something to do with a bicycle). And the rest of us despair because it appears that he's stuck on something we've moved beyond, for various reasons. It's like standing over someone trying to make a fire by whacking two stones together to make a spark.. And you've got a perfectly good lighter in your hand, and you're holding it out to him because you just KNOW that if he doesn't get that fire lit in a few minutes he'll be devoured by wolves. And he says "bah! I don't want to use that, I'm sure this will work!" And then it DOES work (Because it is bound to) and the wolves are kept at bay. And our little fire starter is sitting smugly next to his glowing fire with his rocks and says "See! I told you! Now, run along with your little fire box. I've got MY solution."

I just really hope he doesn't get devoured by wolves the NEXT time he tries to light a fire. Because, I don't like hearing about people getting devoured by wolves.
Just what we need, another analogy detailing the vivid pictures of your imagination in order to draw attention away from the actual reality of the situation, namely, that I've raised some serious questions about the appropriateness of hand operated brakes which have yet to be addressed.

Have fun in the land of wolves, stones, and lighters. Please call when you're ready to join the rest of us here on planet earth.