View Single Post
Old 03-10-08, 08:18 AM
bluebottle1
Kicked out of the Webelos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is what I have heard from someone in the know (i.e. employee of the mayor's office who set the route in 2006 and 2007). Running the TdH as anything but an out and back dramatically increases the number of police officers needed and thus the amount of overtime the city winds up paying. This is the reason why last year's ride was basically an out and back to Clear Lake and why this year's will be the same but to the north. It's obviously far from ideal from a cyclist viewpoint, but I guess it's what the city could manage and still keep its costs reasonable.

Last year's ride was okay as far as the rest stops were concerned, at least I thought. They were quite well stocked and the start and finish went pretty smoothly, though it was obviously pretty crowded at the beginning. Despite the less than interesting scenery last year, I actually had a pretty good time, and I like supporting cycling in Houston. Besides, I've gotta get another ride marshal gig out of the way before the MS150, so I'll be there.

Kicked out of the Webelos.