View Single Post
Old 03-11-08, 10:00 PM
Burnt Sienna

Bikes: Takara Medalist, a red Schwinn (don't know much about that one)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ball plus Bike equals whiplash

So I had my first wreck ever on a bike today and thought I'd share. I was riding to an alderman meeting, and going at least 20 mph down a busy city street when all of a sudden a kid throws a ball out into the street (completely by accident). Instead of reacting, my brain went "I think I'm going to hit this ball" and I did. I flew over my handle bars and onto the other side of the street where fortunately there were two men standing. They pulled me off the street almost immediately and out of traffic. A lady that was playing with the kids saved my bike (which got hurt just as bad as me). I was purely amazed at how quickly these people reacted to help me out.
I managed to not bonk my head, but I have nasty case of whiplash now and some pretty messed up knees and arms. I learned my lesson that I will share with you all: slow down when kids are nearby, especially when they're playing with balls. Also, I thought this was pretty neat how kind these people were. I could have easily been hit by a car if they hadn't gotten me up so fast.