BigFloppyLlama

Bikes: Trek 1000, Giant TCR Composite 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hitchy
g'day,

the simple answer is 'No'...they are very uncomfortable & don't provide any significant weight advantages over the same saddle with more conventional materials. (ie San marco Aspide FX 130gm vs San marco aspide carbon 100gm). I've tried this saddle & it was terribly uncomfortable. I would thinjk the only people who could get away with these are extremely lightweight riders. Don't recall ever seeing a pro use one for any lengthy races?,

cheers,

hitchy
Some do offer a decent amount of weight savings (albiet at a huge cost). Such as the Tune Concord(pic1, pic2 ) and AX Lightness Phoenix. I had heard of some breaking with the Concord, but that was the ealier and lighter version that has since been replaced. Of course both AX Lightness and Tune do offer different models of carbon seats as well.

Jan Ullrich used an AX Lightness Seat+Post combo in the TDF and Clasica San Sebastian and it finally broke in the San Sebastian
Bike (ignore the rebadging)
Problem

Lado Fumic (pro mountain biker) broke his AX Lightness saddle during the olympic race and ended up having to withdraw due to being cut.

However, all the saddles I've mentioned above have carbon rails instead of titanium ones. I'd suggest trying weightweenies if you'd like to hear about the comfort. I know a lot of them swear by the all carbon saddles.