View Single Post
Old 03-13-08, 06:41 AM
cycledorchy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrobertdavis
Thank for your perspective. I signed my wife and I up for the TDH because I'm Houston proud and I felt like it would give me an opportunity to do something different. The MS150 last year gave me a perspective about riding on a large organized ride - the most uninteresting places or difficult roads become a lot of fun when you have traffic control and lots of people cheering and excited. That is what I expect on this ride. I expect kind of a rush of excitement. I am no novice rider by any stretch. I did 5000 miles last year and I've got three centuries under my belt, plus numerous 60+ mile rides. I like to ride at a 20-22 mph pace, but I also enjoy doing a 35 mile ride at 15 mph with my wife.

I just tried to pick up my packet and they were out. All of the banks ran out. Sun and Ski is rumored to have had no packets last weekend. What did I expect? Its the city government organization (low budget). <sigh> But I will remain optimistic and experience it once. I cannot think of any other way to get to go down the middle of Hardy toll road on my bicycle without getting run over.

Bob
Yeah I was at the Guaranty bank on memorial yesterday twice, once in the morning and once at about 3:30, and they said that they were out and that all the other locations were out and that they were trying to get more packets from city hall. I actually stopped another rider on his way in and gave him the bad news. It is very depressing that my first organized ride in Houston is apparently so poorly planned!

I'm told we who registered in advance for the TDH can pick up packets at the event, but that sucks since I'll be driving in from Katy by myself. :-(

I really wanted to do this ride as training for my first century and then the MS 150 (next year) but now I'm feeling a bit apprehensive over the planning of it.