Old 03-15-08, 03:54 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
A word about the shop guys, if you haven't alrady figured it. Sure they are going to tell you that high end low spoke wheels are great, fast and durable under big bodies. Their business is to sell you stuff you don't need just to make a buck. Unfortunately my bud didn't listen to me either. This is him on a training ride in the mountains. He has a BEAUTIFUL Giant outfitted with all Dura Ace stuff. He also spent $800 on some Mavic wheels cause the guys at the shop said they were fast and would hold his 210 lb body and strength.

Well they lasted 9 months before the rear wheel cracked at the nipples. About 2 months earlier, he broke a spoke. He is a strong rider and does pound the pedals like a clyde should. So he goes back to the shop, they send the wheel in for a warranty claim. He says they only charged him $300 to fix them.

Before he leaves the shop, the shop guy talks him into buying the $1300 (red spoke) set cause they are lighter and even more durable. So he does his first ride in the same place these pics were taken. He gets 7 miles up the 21 mile climb and POP! Broken spoke.

He has them replaced under warranty but stashed them in the closet for a special day. All cause the guy at the shop said they were fine under his powerful body. Yeah I trust them with my money!