Old 03-16-08, 02:38 AM
j0e_bik3
"this is not suck"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PaginaVilot
Is this easy to do? I've got a Motobecane Messenger and instead of the orange frame and black parts combination, I think I'd like it better if it was orange and silver/chrome.

The parts that are black that I want to change are the cranks, stem, and seatpost. Could I do this with something like airplane stripper? Will I need to coat it with anything else? Will it even be silver under?
ANODIZING, can be removed with oven cleaner (get the stinky toxic stuff), just pretend the crank arm, stem, seat post, whatever is an oven and follow the directions on the can.

for painted small aluminum parts that you WILL NOT BE PAINTING AGAIN, use the gel type paint strippers (kleen-strip, etc,...), and after applying, wrap the part in plastic wrap, and leave it alone for a couple of hours, then hose off with a high pressure water jet spray RIDICULOUSLY well.

1000 grit steel wool stroked in the same direction on aluminum gives a nice matte brushed look,...going farther up to 1500 grit (wool or paper), followed by a buffing wheel on a bench grinder or even a power drill gives a mirror finish.

after any finish treatment aluminum will start to corrode in minutes, so use one of these to protect the aluminum, and so you wont have to polish it over and over.

ZOOP-SEAL: is a treatment that prevents corrosion for a LONG time
http://www.zoopseal.com/product-listing.asp?ID=15
works for up to about three years, but needs to re-applied every three years.

GLISTEN PC: a special clearcoat for highly polished shiny surfaces, like chrome, or polished aluminum.
http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp=GPC&dept=6
which lasts forever and a couple of days,....supposedly you can actually apply it with a regular ol paint brush, and it'll self level, and you get a sparkly clear finish.

I did my sugino cranks which were all scratched up and they are now brushed matte silver, and look brand new. (steel wool, and glisten pc)

Last edited by j0e_bik3; 03-16-08 at 02:46 AM.