Old 03-17-08, 08:12 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
That circuit race was sketch. I raced the combined D race (last race in D's, *sniff*), and wanted out of that pack. Real hairy. It was also a really fast race on a course completely unsuited to my strengths: flat, open, windy back stretch. On top of that, I had burned a lot of matches the previous day to win a prime and take 2nd in the finishing sprint. I didn't figure much for my chances in a sprint and didn't like riding in the pack in any event, so I attacked across the start/finish at 2 to go. I couldn't get a decent gap on the section after the first turn, and I was flying along at 29 mph! When two guys did join me, they didn't understand that they needed to push, so I ended up back in the pack after a third of a lap. I finished very mid-pack, 24th out of 52 or so. I couldn't even hold position very well in the group, and I'm used to being able to easily reach 15th or 10th position. Who knew that I would greatly prefer the crit on a given race weekend to the circuit race?

As for crashes, I'm surprised there weren't lots. There were a few near-crashes, one guy ran up against the curb but somehow managed to stay upright, and one guy managed to take himself down all by his lonesome behind me during the final sprint. Riding in that combined group was really unpleasant, I was very grateful when the race ended.