View Single Post
Old 03-20-08, 06:12 PM
ericm979

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TrevorInSoCal
The stats (distance/elevation gain) of the Death Ride look pretty close to day one of Everest Challenge, which is probably about the hardest ride I've done on the road.

Can anyone who's done both, offer a comparison?

Sure! If you compare the courses- EC day 1 vs. the Death Ride up to the top of Carson (to make a fair comparison since the timing ends at the top of the last climb on the EC), they're very close but EC is slightly harder. The ascents' nearly the same (per my Polar) but the climbs on the EC are a little tougher, being fewer but much longer, higher, and with more steep sections. The last steep part at the end of the last climb to South Lake will wring out whatever you had left. The last part of Carson is just a grind and although the usual headwind does raise the cruelty factor some its not in the same league. The temperature during the Death Ride is usually much hotter. That's normally not a problem for me but I like the heat; for someone who doesn't it could make a huge difference and reverse the ranking.

However the DR not being a race makes it much easier. Even if you go "for time" you still get (or need) to stop for food and water. Since I'm paying for the amenities and can't get someone to feed me on the course, I go to try to better my on the bike time and stop at the rest stops when I need to. Getting off the bike for a moment to grab some food, and sitting down and eating a sandwich at lunch, makes a huge difference.