View Single Post
Old 03-21-08, 10:27 PM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
GPS for bad eyesight?

I'm considering buying a gps unit for my bike. I like the eTrex Vista HCx but the screen looks pretty small. I'm far-sighted. I have to put on my reading glasses for anything close. It would be a real drag if I had to put on glasses every time I wanted to see what my gps device was saying. I'm wondering if a model made for a car would be better, like a nuvi 200w or nuvi 260. I realize that charging the batteries might be a hassle, but I carried chargers for my phone and mp3 player on my last tour and plugging them in at restaurants, libraries, and even the post on an empty full-hookup campsite was not big deal. Of course, they're probably not waterproof, and maybe not as sensitive, I'd have to rig up a handlebar mount, etc.

On my bike computer I can read the mph numbers easily (they're big.) The odometer numbers below (or elapsed time or average speed, etc.) are smaller. I can usually make them out but it's hard. I have to squint.

How do you think the Vista HCx would be for someone with eyes like mine? If anyone actually owns these models or something similar I'd love to hear from you. Thanks!