View Single Post
Old 03-22-08, 07:49 AM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
I'm considering buying a gps unit for my bike. I like the eTrex Vista HCx but the screen looks pretty small. I'm far-sighted. I have to put on my reading glasses for anything close. It would be a real drag if I had to put on glasses every time I wanted to see what my gps device was saying. I'm wondering if a model made for a car would be better, like a nuvi 200w or nuvi 260. I realize that charging the batteries might be a hassle,
I have the Garmin Nuvi and it's fantastic if you're a driver in a motorcar. There's an device you can attach it to your bicycle. Unfortunately, you'll need to recharge it with a computer or an automobile as it does not use regular batteries! You also cannot create your own routes which is a major issue since I'm fairly certain these GPS's are made for auto users. I've yet to use it on my bicycle but the routes it makes would probably be unsatisfactory. It might have an option to create routes for cyclists but this is an unknown.

Since you don't have a GPS, all you really need is one that uploads or allows you to create routes. Once you get to the starting point, use the "Arrow" screne to get you to your destination. If you can follow and see the direction of the arrow, then ANY gps is piece of cake. Look how big the picture of that arrow is? This is really all you need to see and map details are insignifcant once a route is created. I've been able to follow routes using this "Arrow" screne for over 60 miles and prefer to use it in this mode. I rarely use the map because it's just hard to see.

Learn how to skip a way point or delete one in case your route has problems. Learn how to determine how far by eyesight .16 of a mile is from your turn in point. This is usually about a block but it will prepare you for the turn! Very important or you'll be backtracking alot. Also learn how to create routes avoiding highways and going through smaller roads or subdivisions. Believe me, this takes quality time but have fun with it.

Having the software for your computer that allows you to create and download routes is more important than color or memory size.

Last edited by Dahon.Steve; 10-31-08 at 11:38 PM.