Old 03-22-08, 01:28 PM
Lithuania
Oh The Huge Manatee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
schedule advice

Work on Saturdays is always extra boring so I need something to talk about.

I currently work Thursday through Saturday and every other Wednesday from 6am to 6pm. I have at least an hour commute each way.

I have the chance to move to a m-f shift working something like 11-8 with the chance of moving to something like 6-3 a few months down the road.

Its a pretty tough decision to make because its such a big difference.

These pros of my current shift are that I have 3-4 days a week off with 2-3 of those days being weekdays where I have the day all to myself so there is nothing in the way of training and resting.

The cons of the shift are on my workdays I have very little time to train. 1-1.5 hours. I also get very run down by the early morning and long hours. I feel like I dont have any down time between work and the bike. I wake up, go to work, come home, get on bike, go to bed. Since I work on Saturdays I miss out on lots of good group riding and have to take vacation to race the good saturday events.

The pros of the m-f shift are I would have a more normal schedule where I should easily be able to accomodate 2 hours of training on work days. I shouldnt feel as run down since I would be at work a lot less and would either get home a lot earlier or go in a lot later then I currently do. I could attend all the typical group rides and races that I currently miss out on.

The cons would be only having two days off, both of which are on the weekend which give me very little alone time compared to what I have now. I would also have to start training in the morning before work instead of after and I am not a morning person so this would hurt.

So what would you do if you have the same choice?