View Single Post
Old 03-22-08, 09:23 PM
student_cyclist

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Cooker, I also thought of fixing up my Walmart beat up bike. I did at one point have a clip on splash guard. It was really annoying as well and always getting in the way and moving in all directions even after locking it down hard. Unfortunately that got stolen fairly quickly. I also need to attach a rear rack for transporting groceries. I could get these things for that bike, but I'd wind up spending more on it than it's worth. It doesn't even have a major gear changer anymore, so it's effectively a 6-speed bike. Besides that I have the budget for a $400 bike. I also test rode a $600 "low-end" road bike which was just blazing fast. It made me realize though, that even though my bike is complete crap, it's not bad for what it has been through and what it costs. If it had a suspension and it rode smooth I'd be tempted to keep it. Right now it grinds and squeaks and the the only thing saving my efficiency is keeping my tire at ~70 psi even though it's rated for 55 psi. Without having any sort of suspension, that causes the ride to be unpleasant.