53x11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Biker Assaulted on bike path by gang of teens, IPOD stolen

Posted on South Bay wheelmen forum

[Released] Ballona Creek - Unfriendly Confrontation

I was out yesterday afternoon heading west on the Ballona Creek bike path entering beneath either the Sepulveda or Sawtelle Blvds overpasses to see a group of what appeared to be teenage kids along both sides of the bike path near the far end of the overpass. As ride forward one kid making eye contact begins to cross my path, I yell careful, he bumps me tight as I pass him, I swerve right and a kid standing to the right of the path a few feet in front grabs my handle bar. I remember the right side of the path being a 3 or 4 foot high wall with a steep angled grade above that. In a moment I am swarmed by all the kids, there had to been at least 10 or more punks on me, there were hands grabbing into my jersey pockets, my bike computers and on an ipod strapped to the stem, the bike tugging in all directions, fists start flying at me. I lost hold of the bike as one of the punks started dragging it by the rear wheel toward the center of the overpass where the lighting was dimmer. I remember it being dragged for a good 30 feet or so. Once he got the ipod he backed off and the rest of the group dispersed. Luckily no injuries and only minor damage to the bike and I was able to ride home. I go through here all the time and never though such a thing could happen. Be careful out there!