Pupsocket
half fast

Bikes: Catrike Trail (fixed frame) tadpole trike recumbent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Floyd,

I haven't had much time on my new toy, just a few miles so far. I've had even less on indirect steer test rides. On direct steer, you move both wrists laterally to steer. Indirect steer means you usually move the wrists fore and aft. Indirect generally requires more arm movement for the same steering radius. It may be more comfortable over longer distances, since road shock is more isolated than a direct setup. Indirect has more parts and adds a bit of weight, but might be necessary if wheel layout makes direct steering difficult to implement.

What I've experienced is that just like any unfamiliar control system, there is a learning period when you discover how much input is enough without being too much. The first few turns in the parking lot were very twitchy, but I quickly learned that it took very little effort and movement to turn as much as required.

It's not that apparent from the picture, but the vertical hand grips adjust fore and aft, closer or farther away from the turning axis. Farther away yields a much lighter, quicker touch, while close in increases the effort to steer the same angle. I have them placed almost halfway to the turning axis, which gives a nice balance between responsiveness and steering effort. As I add miles, I'll probably end up fine-tuning the hand grip positions. I've read of someone on a short trike with the steering arms pointed forwards, which is another change possible.