Old 03-25-08, 09:31 PM
BrooklynRider
Steel Frame

Bikes: Roadbike, commuterbike and wife's "Bike with a bell and a basket" 3 speed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately, while I've remained injury free (not including overtraining and wear and tear...) Each month has its close-calls.

Glad I'm not smoking the cigar! I don't want to buy a "farm" either!

For instance;
Road Clinton Street to Tillary. Waited for the light and traffic officer to ride Boerum Place/Brooklyn Bridge eastern side-road. Turned right onto a 100meter stretch of very dangerous Dumbo road to get onto the Manhattan Bridge. Rode over the Manny Bridge. Pass a fixie, get passed by a fixie. The view from the Bridge is as always, worth a meditation. The tugboat and barge. The Fancy yacht. The garbage scow. The water Taxi. The Sunrise.

After Bridge, uptown via Bowery to 4th avenue. They have improved the Manhattan landing off the bridge a great deal. Thanks Bloomberg!

A White Box truck on Allen St. pulls out without looking. I do a blind left-swerve to avoid him. The nice motorist who slammed his brakes, almost having a heart-attack when I filled the left lane in front of him/her without warning didn't hit me. I owe that driver a cigar for being aware. The close-call-of-the-week. I'm getting too old for this... Situational awareness in NYC on a bike is addictive. And lack of it is dangerous.

Move from Bowery to Lafayette by Cooper Union, up to Union Square Park. Ride against traffic on B'way for 2 blocks to reach Madison Square Park. Buy Coffee and Bagel from my nice cart guy. Take freight elevator to office. Lock bike in stairwell.

Return trip was windy and thankfully uneventful blast down 5th avenue to Washington Square Park. 4 blocks of suicidal Broadway, to Lafayette St. blocks wrong way to Center St. Cut East to Bowery on Grand St and then left onto Manny Bridge. Took Jay Street to Bergen. Home.

Watched "Biggest Loser" and read too much Bikeforums.com! Going to bed to do it all again in the rain tomorrow...

Last edited by BrooklynRider; 03-25-08 at 09:52 PM.