Old 09-27-04, 03:07 PM
iamdoingthat
Cab dodger

Bikes: Raleigh C-40

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They wanted my credit card number because I asked them to send the replacement lock before I sent in my keys. That way, if I kept the keys (and got the new lock without any proof of ownership of a faulty lock) they could charge me for the replacement. I mailed them my keys (from the faulty lock) and they are destroying my credit card information upon receipt. Pretty standard procedure for returns/exchanges.

I don't know of anyone else who got a replacement lock yet, so I don't know if other people are receiving different locks, or what, but I'm happy with what I got, even if it is refurbished. It does what it needs to do. I only think it was refurbished since it was a little nicked here and there, and greasy around the lock cylinder. Nothing that I'm concerned about.

I'm of the type of person who doesn't think I have the right to a free lock because the product has a flaw. A lot of companies put out garbage products and don't care for anything, so I'm appreciative that Kryptonite did as much as they did for me, and overall turnaround time was about 2 weeks, much shorter than expected.

I think that my case was handled before they had to deal with the massive influx of calls, so it might be that the procedure is different now. It's even possible that I'm the only person (or one of a few) who received this particular lock, because they had a surplus at their warehouse (or whatever it might be). I spoke with Debbie several times, and she was very understanding and cooperative.

I just posted so that people will not think that Kryptonite is not doing anything, or doesn't care. It'll probably take longer now that the news is so widespread, and people are coming out of the woodwork to get free locks, but if you have a legitimate claim, I think you'll be properly taken care of.