View Single Post
Old 03-27-08, 08:37 PM
Chris H

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Old_Fart
Do you have Canti/V-brakes or discs? Are you running straight/riser bars or something with a pull-back like Mary, H, or cruiser bars?

It seems to me that I did get away with a regular shifter cable when setting up my Xtracycle when I did that a couple years ago but the disc brake required a longer cable. Of course I had to get all new longer cables when I switched to a Mary bar later.

Since I usually collect parts and tackle projects a night when the shops are closed, I don't mind spending an extra buck or two so I'm sure I can get the project done when I start.
Paul Canti brakes, for bars I'm using Salsa Moto Ace Bell Lap bars 46cm wide with Tektro road levers. Shifting is with Shimano bar end shifters. I've got a thread on here that I started with pics of my Big Dummy.

Couldn't tell you what you'd need for rear disc, but I'd rather be safe than sorry in regards to cable length. Like you, I prefer to have the stuff on hand, since being car free neccesitates a little more difficult trip down to the bike shop as opposed to just hopping in the car and running down there.