Old 03-28-08, 03:30 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
yeah but the fact is I have seen the same errant behavior (wide sweeping turns and turns NOT from the right lane) where BL didn't even exist... so discussion of BLs as the cause of poor motorist behavior is moot. The BL is not the factor. That is the bottom line.
And your point is what? Are you suggesting that because you've witnessed wide turns happen at all intersections that right turners are just as likely to make wide sweeping turns at intersections without bike lanes as they are at intersections with bike lanes? If that is your point, do you have any basis for contending this other than seeing someone take a wide turn at an intersection without a BL? If that's not your point, what is?

I'm not suggesting that there are no wide turners at intersections without bike lanes, but I am saying the right turning compliance appears to be significantly higher with 22100/21717 at intersections without bike lanes than at intersections with bike lanes (dotted or solid all the way to the intersection). Are you seriously challenging this point?

Turning Upon a Highway
22100 (a) Right Turns. Both the approach for a right-hand turn and a right-hand turn shall be made as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway ...

dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22100.htm

Turning Across Bicycle Lane

21717. Whenever it is necessary for the driver of a motor vehicle to cross a bicycle lane that is adjacent to his lane of travel to make a turn, the driver shall drive the motor vehicle into the bicycle lane prior to making the turn and shall make the turn pursuant to Section 22100.

dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21717.htm