View Single Post
Old 03-30-08, 11:00 AM
sean000

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Kogswell P58, 1988 Pinarello, Rivendell Wilbury (my wife's bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back in the day (mid-1980s to early 1990s) I had sew-ups for my racing bike. I also had a set of wheels with clinchers that were more for training... and the lighter wheelset with the sew-ups was for racing.

How well these will work for commuting depends on the tire and the wheels... as well as the roads you take while commuting. Some wheels are built to take abuse, while others are built to be as light as possible... meaning they may not hold up as well to many miles over bad roads. I've ridden a number of sew-ups until the treads wore out, but as with any tire punctures can happen. You have to carry another sew-up tire (unlike most clinchers you can fold them up) and a pump with you. When you flat you just pull the flat tire off the rim (it's glued on, but pretty easy to remove) and then roll the spare tire onto the rim. Pump up the tire and the air pressure will hold it to the rim. Ride carefully. There will be some glue on the rim to help the tire stick, but without proper gluing it is possible for a sew-up to roll off the rim if you take a corner too hard or puncture again.

The big downside to sew-ups is price. That's why I had the clincher wheelset. Nice clinchers and tubes were cheaper than nice sew-ups. As clincher tires improved I stopped riding sew-ups all together. I still have my 1988 Pinarello, but have only ridden it with clinchers in recent years. The sew-up wheels are somewhere in the basement.

Eventually you may want to get a decent but inexpensive set of clincher wheels. You could have new wheels built around the original hubs as well.

Sean