Old 03-30-08, 12:12 PM
EivlEvo
Look at all these buttons

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NitroPye
Depends on the hardware. For instance, the current iPhone relies on triangulation of cell towers while some other phones have actual GPS chips in them. GPS being just satellite triangulation if I remember correctly and is accurate to a couple feet while the cell tower triangulation is accurate as a **** stain on a map.
Yeah I mean... Im well read on GPS systems as a pilot using it every day. I know the systems inside and out.

But GPS reception is inaccurate in devices like this I feel. We use 2 separate systems with GPS called WAAS and RAIM. Wide Area Augmentation System is a ground based system that sends info back to the GPS constellation to help clarify your position. RAIM or Range Autonomous Integrity Monitoring helps with the triangulation. This is what enables GPS systems to be accurate down to 1 meter. However... I don't think this type of GPS system is RAIM capable. RAIM is essentially used for airport approaches.

Either way. You'd still be looking at a 10 - 30 foot position accuracy using only 2 satellites.