View Single Post
Old 03-30-08, 03:31 PM
logdrum
Headset-press carrier

Bikes: Kona with Campy 8, Lynskey Ti with Rival, Bianchi pista, Raleigh Team Frame with SRAM Red, Specialized Stump Jumper, Surley Big Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy Stans and put about 4 TBS per tire every 4 months. Unless it is a nail or something nasty, you should be okay. I am in the flat capital state and so far so good.

Continental sells a tire called Sprinter Gatorskins, they are really a road racing tire and they are great 48-60 sepends where you get them. You can also buy Vittoria's Rally Training tubular from 20 to 29 I've seem them on sale for 14. Again Stans is the key.

I have repaired tubulars on the road. All you need is a curved leather needle, nylon string and a seam ripper and they are about 10 grams extra that you can add to your patch kit. You probably need a Park tire boot as well or a dollar bill. If you use stans small punctures will be sealed quickly any other puncture may be a big gash on the tire that requires booting the tire. This is my experience. If you use Stans, any puncture on a tubular is a big enough puncture for you to boot a clincher tire. It is easier to carry a pre stretched tubular tire.

Yeah all the gluing is a hassle, but I still love tubulars. I just found out that cyclo cross racers use them a lot and if they do a commuter should be fine.