Devilmaycare Cycling Fool

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
No, it's not the road's fault.
But the particular design (routing cyclists to the right of a buses turning right into a bus stop) is a contributing factor.
A lot has to happen before these design issues will be resolved, not the least of which is that bicycling advocates have to understand the role these designs play in harming and killing cyclists.

In the mean time, every reminder to not be enticed to pass on the right by a bike lane stripe may save someone's life.
By all means do that, but it is not the fault of the bike lane. Not even a little bit. It's the fault of the bus driver failing to give way to a cyclist that was perfectly visible. I've had bus drivers try the same thing, several times, on roads with and without bikelanes, and I can guarantee it wasn't because they didn't see me, they're just impatient pricks. I've had a thousand times more than that merge perfectly safely across the bikelane.

Now, once one understands that bus drivers can be this way, and prone to such stupid actions, it pays to be vigilant for them on the approach to bus stops, and avoid their idiocy by any means possible, but bikelanes do not cause drivers to cut off cyclists, they make that decision themselves.

Stop being such an apologist for sh1tty driving.

Last edited by Allister; 03-31-08 at 06:03 PM.