Old 04-01-08, 07:45 AM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay H
The southern end of the Paulinskill can get flooded and you have to dodge the horse bombs for the most part but you can actually ride into pennsy via the Paulinskill if you don't mind some rougher rides and riding or walking over the big concrete paulinskill viaduct over the delaware.

You can also combine the two rail trails as the Sussex Branch trail and the Paulinskill cross in Warbasse Junction. I've biked both trails end to end before, but I had to ride around the flooded section and do a little bushwacking to pick up the trail after I did so. I had to ride out to 206 for a section though I forget the road names I used.

Jay
I've only ridden the southern portion of the Sussex Branch, about 8 miles.

Starting from the southern end, at Waterloo Road (where there is a public toilet), at about mile 3, the trail appears to have been destroyed by widening of 206. Taking the Morris Sussex Turnpike for about .5 miles circumvents this obstacle. Then, at about mile 4.5, the trail is lost again, but if you continue directly on Railroad Ave, it's quite easy to find where it picks up again. At about mile 6.5 it passes through Kittatinny State Park, where there is a public toilet. Then, at about mile 9, it terminates at Sparta Ave. Then, a mile riding on some local roads puts you back on the trail.

I haven't ridden the northern portion, but it looks like it continues another 9 miles or so to Branchville, passing the Warbasse Junction you mention.

I've mapped the Sussex Branch on MapMyRide. Interestingly, it marks the Sussex Branch as a trail (it appears) but it marks the Paulinskill as existing railway.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...hope/954192549