VeloVeg
Savor the journey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by beetes
Hi All-

My wife and I are planning a tour this summer (june) that will be a loop from Breckenridge, west to Colorado National Monument or Arches National park and back. The rough plan is to follow the i-70 corridor from Frisco to Grand Junction (or on to Moab) and come back via Montrose, Crested Butte, Buena Vista, ending in Breck. I would love any general advice for folks who have experience touring in this region, but I also have one specific question.

The distance between Grand Junction (or Fuita) Colorado and Moab, UT seems to be about 90-100 miles with no place to stop in between. Is it realistic to cover this distance during the month of June. Is the terrain difficult? Are there any services between these two towns? Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

-Ben
Hi Ben,

You're looking at awesome touring country, but the roads don't always go just where you want them to. Like others have said, I would certainly try to minimize the I-70 corridor. There is the option of taking a route thru Leadville, Aspen, Carbondale, SR133 over McClure Pass and on to Delta, then take US50 to SR340 (at Grand Jct.) to Fruita, and US6 to Mack, then finally taking I-70 west into Utah where you can pick up SR128 to Moab/Arches NP. This route certainly won't be direct, but it's gorgeous.

On the return, from Crested Butte to Buena Vista it looks like you'll be crossing one of my favorites, Cottonwood Pass (12,126'). Absolutely gorgeous! The ride all the way up from Almont along the Gunnison and Taylor Rivers to Taylor Lake is truly beautiful (gradually climbing). Then the real climbing begins with switchbacks and wonderful vistas for the last 14 miles. The road at this point is quite narrow, so listen out for the occasional vehicle. At the top (Continental Divide) you are surrounded by Mt. Harvard, Mt. Yale, and Mt. Princeton. They ought to award you an honorary degree for climbing up their! You'll fly down the eastern side for 20-25 miles into Buena Vista. You're gonna love it!

BTW, as others have said, be prepared for climate changes due to altitude. At lower elevations (6-7000') the temps can be well up into the 90s with bright sun, but at 12000' it can actually be 30 degrees with snow squalls. Carrying some extra layers of clothes makes the load a little heavier, but it's necessary.

All the best,