View Single Post
Old 04-01-08, 07:44 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
PSA - riding in the gutter

I found myself thinking of our forum scribe, Event Services, this evening. I was on a local-ish group ride, trying to blow out the cobwebs after 5 days off the bike, and a weekend of driving and drinking (note the order).

About 12-14 guys, and a gal, showed up. About 4-5 of us were capable of pushing the pace.

There was one stretch, where the group were riding single file.
  • the road was quiet.
  • there was no traffic.
  • there was a sidewind, coming from the left.
  • EVERYONE (apart from wfrogge) was riding in the gutter.
  • despite several requests from yours truly to move out to the middle of the road, they continued to surf the gutter.

the straw that broke the proverbial back, was after a hill, when one rider attacked me. that part wasn't a problem.

the problem came after we regrouped, and he explained to me that he rode in the gutter because that was his tactic. problem.

seriously... wtf? this was a shiddy little group ride. it was training. it was NOT a race. not even a training race.

i told him that if he had any interest in getting stronger, he should skip the tactics, and just ride himself into the ground. there are no podiums on a group ride.

for some reason i did not yell at him. probably because i was a guest on the ride.

next time will be different.

back OT - if there's a side wind from the left, and the road is clear, get out of the gutter.

that is all.

Last edited by botto; 04-01-08 at 08:33 PM.