View Single Post
Old 04-03-08, 01:33 PM
Trucker_JDub

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm getting paid to exercise now...

At the first of the year I decided I was going to be getting in shape. As a long haul trucker there is almost no time or ability to get quality exercise on a regular basis. I was home every couple months (no family and I lived in the truck to save money) so working out just at home was pointless. In January I said enough of this and quit with nothing to go to.

From that time I have lived off my savings just relaxing, exercising, and learning to eat healthy again. I worked little bits here and there for/with friends for something to do but considering I have had no time off in the last 4 years I figured I deserved it. I told myself I would not take a job unless I could use it to help me get into shape somehow. Well, I did it.

I have been hired as the head night security officer for a property that is about 4 miles long and a mile wide. I discussed with them from time to time parking their provided security car and doing some of the patrols on foot/cycle and they where all for it. They liked the idea of having security that would be a little more into physical fitness, and not being in a car all the times makes it easier to catch people off guard.

I would spend the first half of the shift mainly walking and climbing the stairs over and over of a 3 story building. Then the second half I am free to roam the property as I see fit for the most part. I'm going to push the cycling as much as I can then working into a little jogging as well. On top of that its about a 7 mile one way commute. Looks like I should be getting a lot more miles in soon. I already placed an order with my LBS for a second computer mount for my MTB as my Allez wouldn't be able to handle most of the roads on the property.

I may be taking a little bit of a pay cut over my truck driving but if you factor in the time and money I'll be saving by not needing to get a gym membership to get the same exercise it works out in the end.