Old 04-05-08, 07:56 PM
w2brdbkr

Bikes: Raleigh SC30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel I'm on my way

I am new to road bikes, I started with a mountain bike a few years ago, then went to a hybrid last year because I was tired of fixing flats from goat heads (stickers) & now I bought a road bike.

About two months ago I bought a 07 Specialized Roubaix with CF fork & seat stay. I've been able to ride it a few times to work, I carpool with the wife to her work then ride the 7 miles to my work. Then when the weather has been nice I've been able to ride home the 25 miles but I've only done that 3 times so far.

I've done the 25 miles 3 times, a 35 mile ride, last weekend 50 miles & this Friday was one of the 25 mile rides.
Today I decided to bump it up so I road to the LBS that I bought the bike from so I could have them adjust the rear derailer & the round trip was 65 miles.

There was winds from 15-20 mph which I HATE WIND but at least I didn't hit the bad stuff until I was almost to the LBS but it does take a toll on you.

I had two 24oz water bottles that I drank, then filled them up & drank them on the way back. Ate a peanut butter sandwich at the LBS and had one power bar & 5 fig newton bars on the trip. When I got home I drank a big glass of chocolate milk and ate some trail mix.

Just wondering if I'm pushing it to much or the rides I've done are O.K? I'm also trying to learn about eating because it sounds like that is as important.

This last trip my legs were sore, my arse (maybe my sit bones) got sore, which I haven't had before and my shoulders were sore but they are better. I don't know if it was because of the wind, but this ride is a lot harder on me then the 50 mile ride I did.

I'm 47 yrs old so I'm not a spring chicken, but I feel I'm in pretty good shape since I go to the gym regularly.
I have a century planned for June 1st so I'm trying to build myself up for that ride.

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.