Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ROJA
Approx. 750' of climbing in 1.3 miles (based on my Garmin) for an average grade of 10.9%. Compare this to OLH, which isn't nearly as steep (7.2%), although it is longer in total distance.

Here is the route if anyone doesn't know the area: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...,0.028925&z=15

Brutal. It's seriously the closest I've come to having to walk my bike (compact double with a 12-27 cassette) in a long time!

Anyone ridden this one?

Hey ROJA - based on your post, I hauled my tail up South Park (aka death ride#2) this morning from SPDR and can confirm your findings. The middle section had me huffing quite impressively, but that sting in the end of the tail really got my HR up and speed down to a crawl. Of course the benefit was I turned around and luxuriated in the sweet downhill - man, that road is FAST! I was taking it easy, braking fairly frequently, but topped 46mph without even trying. I imagine that this would be the road to find out how fast your bike (or your nerve) will take you. Even coasting up some of the few uphills, I was still in excess of 30.

Anyhow good call, and I look forward to being spanked by this climb many times in the future.
Now I need to find the nerve to tackle El Toyonal and Lomas Cantadas