jodi-townie

Bikes: Proteus stationary recumbent, considering Electra Townie purchase

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi a7yrstitch,
Thank you for your response.

That is great you you and your husband like the Townie and are even considering getting another one. I will be interested to hear your opinions on the difference between the 8 and 21 speed bikes if you do.

You have made a few interesting points. I never really thought about the weight distribution on the bike before. However, I believe that I have always tried to be relatively upright when riding.
Your points about the coaster brake also make sense. I know that I used to love the coaster brake on the bike I had as a child, however, I do remember having to apply it quite hard at times, and I did not have RA back then. So, I now think that I would be better off with the hand brakes.

The men's style Townies do look good....but I may want the option of putting a leg through instead of over. If the ladies version is not quite as stong of a design, I hope that it would still be strong enough for my weight.

Speaking of weight. I have been to Weight Watchers for 1 week now and I lost 2.3kg (5lb). I am very pleased with that, but I know not to expect such losses in future weeks.

One more question regarding the weight distribution, if you are putting most of your weight down on the seat, does this give you a sore behind?

Thanks for the advice regarding not waiting....but I will be getting the bike for a combination Mother's Day and birthday present. Mother's Day in Australia is in May and my birthday is in June. So, I don't have long to wait....and based on my previous weight loss attempts, at about that time I will need a boost to keep going on the weight loss program. That seems to be about the time I give up....and I want to make this time different. I can't wait to get the bike, but I feel that it will feel like a reward if I wait and will also provide me with renewed enthusiasm.

I am a bit interested in adding electric motor, but not sure. There is a place in Australia (in a different state) that sells the Townie 7 speed with an electric motor already installed, but the cost is quite high. I am not sure that the electric motor could be added to the 8 speed model with internal hub? But I do think that it could be added to the 21 speed model? So, depending on which bike I go with, I could add it later on.

There are really 5 bikes that I am still considering.
8 speed Electra Townie with internal hub (seems practical)
8 speed Electra Townie with internal hub and balloon tyres (love the look of the fat white tyres)
21 speed Electra Townie (seems practical and has more gear options)
21 speed Electra Townie 700C tyres (seems practical, more gear options, but are the tyres right for me?)
8 speed Electra Amsterdam 700C tyres (same internal hub as 8 speed Townie and great looking bike, wondering if I could still put my feet down on this model)

I am still not sure which would be the best option for me. Less maintenance with an internal hub sounds appealing, but then perhaps it would also take longer for a bike shop to fix if anything went wrong? Small and wide tyres might make me feel more stable and confident than the 700C tyres? But then the 700C tyres would allow me to go faster, not that I would need that. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks again,
Jodi