Old 04-07-08, 08:18 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfish
What about some tandem spec lightweights for the list? Very expensive but probably not much more than 1kg, plus you save a little weight on the tubulars as well.
Probably not. All of the wheels I've included on the list above are, in fact, serviceable by anyone with the right tools, parts and knowledge since the rims, hubs, and spokes (or modular hub/spoke halves, in the case of the Topolino wheels) are field serviceable.

By field servicable, that means a damaged rim or broken spoke can be replaced by someone who knows how to build, true and tension wheels using either a spoke wrench or 5.5mm spoke socket driver & tensiometer. Admittedly, replacing a rim or a spoke on the more exotic wheels is far more expensive than with conventional wheels. However, and perhaps surprisingly, the very exotic Topolinos may be easier to work with than the Bontrager, Rolf's or Shimano Sweet 16's as the higher spoke count Topolino wheels don't rely on unusually high tension settings and can be checked using a Park or DT Tensiometer.

As for the cost of repairs, I'm not sure what Bongrater, Rolf or Shimano charge for a replacement rim, but I suspect it's probably on par with the $90 Topolino replacement rim cost. I was also surprised to learn a Topolino replacement hub/spoke half was only $65, plus a $100 core charge that's refunded upon return of the damaged unit.

The Lightweight wheels, as best as I can tell, are not field serviceable as they used carbon spokes that are bonded to the rim. Therefore, a damaged rim or spoke would necessitate a return to the vendor for service.

Of course, the risk with any of these exotic wheels is long-term supportability. I have no doubt I will be able to use a my conventional bicycle hubs until the end of my days via the use of replacement bearings, rims and spokes of my choosing. However, if Bontrager, Rolf, Shimano, or Topolino discontinued their tandem wheel product line for any reason, obtaining any needed proprietary parts or support in the future could prove to be a challenge.

Last edited by TandemGeek; 04-07-08 at 02:23 PM.